Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Learning to Knit

Whew, the last week has been exhausting and feels like it's flown right by. Working in the grocery business can be trying at times but I'm thankful that I'm able to provide for my little ones and I enjoy the customers and vendors that I work with.

In my down time, I like to find quiet ways to let out some of the day's tension and stress. Some days, I find it difficult to change gears from the fast-paced work front to the slow comforts of home. Getting out in the garden is my go-to way to wind down but currently there's not much doin's in the garden.

A bag I crocheted for Banana Girl


In the winter months, when I'm not planning my garden or nurturing seedlings, I crochet. I've been crocheting since I was 7. My mother can crochet anything. She's the one that got me started. I'm still a novice compared to her skilled hand but I do enjoy it.

Blanket Punkey knitted for Bubba
One thing that my mother cannot do that I've always wanted to learn is to knit. My mother-in-law, Punkey, is an amazing knitter and some of her creations have filled me with awe. I found some videos on YouTube and picked up a couple of cheap knitting needles to try to teach myself.

Another blanket Punkey knitted.


I found casting on to be a bit tricky and was close to giving up when I couldn't quite get it.. but I perservered and was finally, after dropping the needles about a hundred times and getting the yarn tangled a hundred more, able to get it. I feel like I'm getting the hang of the basic stitches. I'm practicing nightly and making Bubba a scarf as a result.

Scarf I'm working on. My stitches aren't quite even... Oops!

Once I'm finished with that, I should be comfortable enough to move onto the purl stitch. I've been browsing the web looking at knitting patterns and I'm very excited to finally be learning. Who knows, by next winter I may be able to knit the kids (and myself) some sweaters. It's so much more thrilling to use something you've made by hand yourself than to pick something up off a sales rack.

2 comments:

  1. Stick with it. If you want to learn bad enough, you'll persevere and figure it out. My grandma taught me to crochet when I was eight. She also tried to teach me to knit. I couldn't get the knitting down. However, about 1 1/2 years ago, I determined that I WAS going to learn to knit. And I've learned! So I speak from my own personal experience when I say to persevere, practice, and stick with it. You will get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, some much needed encouragement! So far so good. I'm surprised you started 1 1/2 years ago -- all of the pictures of your work are so beautiful, I figured you'd been knitting all your life!

      Delete