Monday, February 3, 2014

Mother-in-Laws

I think we've all heard those horrible stories about mother-in-laws. About how overbearing, controlling and malicious they could be. About how miserable they could and would make your life. Maybe all those stories are baloney or maybe I'm one of the lucky few. Because my mother-in-law is wonderful.

Punkey stayed at home with her six kids. She and her husband (who passed before I ever got to meet him) put all of their kids through private school, shuffled the kids back and forth to swim meets, soccer practices, etc., came home and cooked dinner every night and kept the house spotless in the meanwhile. 


Bubba, with his Johnny Rockets hat. February 2, 2014.

She's got a lot of spunk and verve. She's an amazing story-teller. That sold me from day one -- I've always been a sucker for a good story. She's very adventurous and amazing with kids. Hands down, when it comes to advice with kids, she's always spot on.

And the kids? They adore her. So of course they weren't going to pass up a lunch invitation from Grandma! We went to Johnny Rockets. (Yes, yes, I know, it's terrible for you. But we only go maybe twice a year.) And this is how GENIUS my mother-in-law is... Knowing in advance that the kids would get restless waiting for the food, she brought a game with her for us to play while we waited.


Banana Girl and Punkey. February 2, 2014.

It wasn't anything fancy. It didn't have all the bells, whistles and noise that most games these days have. It was a simple dice game called "Left, Center, Right." The object is to win the jackpot in the middle. If you roll a "L", you pass one of your coins to the left, "C" you put your coin in the jackpot, "R" you pass to the right and if you roll a dot, you get to keep your coins. The kids enjoyed playing and before we knew it, our food was being served. 

It's amazing that some of the simplest things can keep the kids happy, entertained and quiet. What could have become a stressful situation was totally prevented, resulting in a relaxing, pleasant lunch for us all. I can't say enough how thankful I am to have been blessed with such a great woman for a mother-in-law!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you feel that way about your MIL! I have a new DIL and I'm feeling my way along, trying not to be intrusive or to give advice when it isn't wanted. My son's been married before and with the first wife, it was all about her family. We had no choice but to share our son with them. They took the lion's share, and then when the marriage failed, they could not even find it in their hearts to be civil to him. We got our son back, but he was just devastated.

    So, though I still haven't found a way to connect to my DIL, I'm grateful for her presence in my son's life. My son is in love and he's happy. He's finally joined a church and he's finally out of debt. They are very busy, they both work full time and she has three children from previous marriages that already have grandparents. I hope one of these days, when she's ready, she will feel towards me like you do about Punky. Bless your heart. Hugs, Ilene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ilene, you're so sweet. Thank you for your kind words.

      I'm sure that with time, you and your DIL will find a connection. You already have one - your son - linking you two together. Hopefully with time and shared experiences, you will have a great relationship. From the sound of it, you've been very welcoming and thoughtful and that in itself is a true blessing to any newly wed woman. I'm glad to hear your son is doing well!

      Best wishes,
      Angie

      Delete