Thursday, February 13, 2014

Snow Day


Well, we finally got some snow worth talking about. This is the most snow we've gotten in at least four years. So far, we've gotten 12 inches and they're saying over the course of the next 6 hours, we may get another 6 inches.



It's very rare for me to miss work but I haven't had a real snow day with my kids in ages. Actually, now that I think about it, Bubba has never had a real snow day. Sure, we've gotten snow in his four and half years, but for the most part, we've only gotten a dusting of snow here and there. For now, we're staying in and staying warm but we'll get out and play for a bit later on in the day.

Bubba snuck into our bed in the middle of the night. So peaceful!



With everything buried under snow, it's hard to foresee springtime, with everything green, lush and flowering. It's amazing to think that in two month's time, I'll be sowing seeds and transplanting seedlings. I know that I have a lot of work to do now, even with all the snow, to be ready for spring. I know this, but my mind still has a hard time comprehending it. "Plant these now? With the ground still frozen? Craziness."  

I'm thankful for the extra day at home. In addition to fun with the kids, it will give me a little more time to take care of some things I had planned for the weekend. I've got seeds I'd like to get started and I'm hoping to make the final arrangements on a set of utility shelves I'm building to hold my flats. 



If you don't already know your frost date, you can look it up here. And there's a lot of great suggestions on when to plant (including when to start and transplant seedlings) here. I've gotten my planting schedule worked out, for the most part.

This weekend, I'll be starting onions, celery, peppers and lettuce indoors. I'll start my tomatoes the following week. My next batch of seedlings will be in March - cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe, and squash. The remainder of my seed - beans, carrots and peas will be sown directly. I've never grown lettuce and I think I may try direct sowing some as well as transplanting. I'll experiment and see what works best. 

I cannot stress enough what a great resource local cooperative extensions are! They have a wealth of information specific to your area, will take any questions you might have and if they don't have the answer will research it and get back to you. Many also offer low-cost (or free) soil testing. If you haven't checked out your local extension office, here's a directory. I'll be attending two "Sustainable Gardening" classes offered by my extension office in March. I'm really looking forward to it.





No comments:

Post a Comment