Sunday, February 2, 2014

Stocking up on books

Books have always had a magical quality to me. There is something so soothing and comforting in reading a well-thumbed book. Losing yourself in a story, absorbing new-found information... it's, well, magical. For as long as I can remember I have been reading anything I could get my hands onto. So I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear that my favorite place on earth (besides home) is our local library.


Bubba at the library, February 2, 2014


As a child, I would pore over titles, debating which of the hundreds of wonderful books I should take home with me. I always limited my selection to three. A quick trip to the library would take hours. Thankfully, my father is a patient man and understood my love of reading.

Banana Girl's "Potato Pal", January 30th, 2014

My children, too, have a love for reading. I have read to them since they were babies. During the winter months, it's not unusual for us to go to the library 2-3 times a week. Our library has a lot of great programs for kids. Our favorite is the Terrific Thursdays where you can make a craft as a family, free of charge. They've had some interesting ideas, that's for sure.



With the weather being so cold, we've been stocking up on books. Here's today's latest loot. (Obviously I don't stick with only 3 books anymore! Ha!) I'm really looking forward to spending some time poring over them. If anyone has any suggested books to read, I'd love to hear it!

2 comments:

  1. Do you love how a book smells when you open it? I always did.

    I did a lot of reading to my children, and then to my two grandsons. They spent a lot of time at our house and eventually we had to adopt them. Every night, I'd go with them to their room and they'd get all settled down in their bunk beds while I layed on my stomach on the floor and began to read. They loved "Hank The CowDog" and so did I, really. This became a tradition for us that lasted long into the time when they could very well read to themselves. I read all the Harry Potter books to them, a chapter or two at a time, and we had a lot of fun laughing together and discussing what we thought was going to happen next. Good memories for me, now that they are all grown up and one of them has a baby of his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I thought I was the only one that loved the smell of a book!

      What a great tradition to have... a great way to share and really bond.

      I've always enjoyed reading to my children too. I don't know who finds it more comforting - me or them. We've never read "Hank the CowDog" but it looks like something my daughter will love. We are going to pick up a copy at the library this Thursday. Can't wait to read it with them.

      Delete