Saturday, February 22, 2014

Tough Decisions

After a lot of thought and agonizing, I've decided to leave my job of nine years. This wasn't a snap decision and it certainly wasn't taken lightly. After doing a lot of thinking, number crunching and even more thinking, my husband and I decided that now would be as good a time as any for me to leave the workforce, finish school and stay at home with Bubba.

There are many people that will (and have) made comments about how bad the economy is, don't you think you're making a mistake walking away from a decent paying job, what will you do if you can't find another one, etc... And all I can say is, I refuse to be afraid of the economy. Yes, not having enough money to pay the bills is a very scary thought. However, we have made sure that we are financially secure enough for me to be able to do this. We will have to budget, yes, and in some cases, we will have to do without. But all of the necessaries we will be able to pay for.

Credit: www.mycutegraphics.com


There are multiple factors behind the decision. The biggest factor, for me, was the blurring of lines. When work starts to consume your entire life, it's time to look at making a change. When everything at work take priority over everything else in your life, your children's lives, your husband's lives, it's time to look at making a change. When you cannot sleep at night because you are going over every little thing you didn't get done at work and going over every little thing you need to get done, it's time to look at making a change. When you get home from work and are so mentally drained that it takes you hours to unwind from the day, it's time to look at making a change.

So for now, the plan is to take a few months off, work on finishing school, spend time with my little man, take care of the house, work in my garden and to refocus. Refocus on what really matters -- family. Refocus on my life, our lives, us. And if that sounds selfish, so be it. When Robert starts school in the fall, I will more than likely rejoin the workforce. Hopefully on a part-time basis.

Boring post today, hopefully I'll have a better one tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I have been where you are.

    You can do this. Just stay out of debt as much as you possibly can and you will be fine. Think about it this way. You are opening up a job for someone who might be the only income producer in their family.

    You will find so many things that you no longer have to spend money on when you no longer work outside of the home. School will consume a lot of your time but you're young, and when/if you are ready to go back to work, your earning power will be so much increased because of your degree. I wish I had gotten far enough to get my degree, but stuff happened, so when I went back to work I ended up working for supervisors who were the age of my children, and I had more experience and common sense than they did. All I lacked in order to be THEIR boss was that piece of paper.

    The worse the economy gets, the more picky employers are about the people they hire. A degree will give you an edge I never had.

    On the other hand, if you choose to remain at home after you're out of school, you will have the security of having that education under your belt. You may find that you can do very well on one income.

    Good luck to you and be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement. Most of the feedback I have gotten has been very negative so it is nice to hear a positive perspective.

      You and I think alike - I also thought about the job opportunity it will provide for someone else. That thought has been very reassuring to me.

      Delete
  2. I've been there as well. It can be scary, but I like your comment ~ "I refuse to be afraid of the economy." I have never regretted leaving the workforce to be at home with my kids. Not that there aren't times when I feel like I just need to get out by myself, but it's been such a blessing to be able to spend so much time with my children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, you have such a positive perspective. Spending more time with my children will truly be a blessing for us as well.

      Delete