Friday, March 28, 2014

Another Update

The last week has been a busy one which is why I opted not to post. I have been trying to minimize the "to-do" list and have been steadily knocking out the "must-do" list. Between taxes, dentist appointments, school functions and studying in preparation for a big test coming up, the little free time I've had has been devoted to family time.

In the interim, we have had snow again. It's very late in the season for us to get snow and I have a sneaky suspicion that our spring will be almost non-existent. We may get a week or two of spring-like weather and then we will probably go right into summer. We'll wait and see but for now, outlook not so good. Rain is in the forecast for the next three days so needless to say, it will probably be another week before I can get out in the garden to do anything.




I did get out yesterday to check on the peas and so far, I only have one little sprout out of the whole bunch. This little sprout did not seem to mind being buried by snow for two days. It's amazing what some things in nature are capable of withstanding. I've been turning it over in my mind but next season, I may give up on peas. Our spring seems to be growing shorter and shorter so the window to grow them in is slowly closing. Plus with planting space being at such a premium... as much as I love them, I may have to give them up until I have more space to grow them.






A quick update on seedlings... Tomato plants are doing well, all have true leaves now and most are working on a second set of leaves. A few even have a third set of leaves already. I'm topping up the soil in each pot and burying the stem almost up to the leaves (pictured on the left in the middle). The plants are sturdy enough but I want them to work on developing their roots and to have a stronger stem. 

The celery and onions have died. I did start some more celery but so far, nothing. They did take quite a while to germinate the last time. If they don't germinate, oh well. I'll try sowing some directly and if they don't take, I'll give them up for this season and try again some other time.




Here's a shot of the peppers. I've been watering them sparingly because I have a tendency to over-water. I have noticed something interesting about these seedlings. When they start to get thirsty, the original "baby" leaves will slowly raise straight up. The plant on the left in the picture is an example of that. My first thought was they were trying to raise up to the light but nope, it coincides with when they want water. 




I did get my cucurbits planted. I planted them in bigger pots because I didn't want to have to transfer them at a later date. They have a tendency to shock easily from transplanting so I'm hoping to minimize that as much as possible. Hopefully I timed it about right.




I also received a special delivery this week of Egyptian Walking Onions. (Thank you again, Ilene!) Also called tree onions, they're neat because instead of forming flowers, they form small "bulblets" which will eventually tip over and "walk" across your garden. I was able to beat the rain today and get them planted in a 32" x 48" bed I made of scrap wood specifically for them. As neat as the walking aspect is, I think I'll keep them as contained as possible, ha ha.

Well, I think that's enough for one day. Take care, everyone! :-) 

2 comments:

  1. I never noticed that about peppers! Don't that beat all. I've been trying to get Lovage started, they say it's a good substitute for celery in cooking and it's a perennial. So far I haven't had much luck but I'm trying again. Persistence will pay off at some point, I hope. Good job on the tomato plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am SO with you on the peas. I can't get mine to grow either, second year in a row, and so I'm probably going to give up. I think it's our short spring, too, we get pretty warm, pretty quick. Plus we have major insect and bird issues. I feel your pain, but I guess no one can grow everything in their particular region!

    ReplyDelete