Saturday, March 15, 2014

Garden Journal & A Lemonade Stand

I've been working on putting together a new garden journal the last couple days. I searched high and low for my journal from last year to no avail. It seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. (I'm sure once I'm finished putting the new one together, it will magically reappear.)

Here's an example of what I've been working on.





I've finished all of the pages and now I'm working on putting my binder together. In addition to the pages I created, I'm also adding any related articles I've found online plus some materials from my local Cooperative Extension. It's a work in progress but hopefully I'll have it finished soon. If anyone is interested in using the pages, you can download them here.





We got another glimpse of spring today. The cold and wind took a break and left us with sunshine and near 70° weather. The kids got to playing with a box we were about to recycle (What is it with kids and boxes?! Ha!) and they decided it would be perfect to use as a lemonade stand. They made signs, made a small "till" for their cash to go into and begged me to make lemonade. How could I say no?


Banana Girl & Bubba with their friends

I must say, they were very cute and they did get quite a few customers. They sold each cup for 50¢ and actually made $21.75 from four quarts of lemonade. (They did let one cup go for 25¢.) It's really fascinating to watch your children and to see their creative juices flowing. They created a little ditty about lemonade and they sung it at the top of their lungs anytime someone would pass. I was totally blown away by how much money they made. They could hardly contain themselves, they were so excited. 

I also wanted to give a special shout out to Ilene for the cookbook recommendations. Today I received my very own copies of Farm Journal's Country Cookbook, Farm Journal Freezing & Canning Cookbook, and Farm Journal Homemade Bread. I found them used on Amazon for a very good price. I paid more for shipping than I did the actual books. They were only a few pennies a piece, plus a couple bucks shipping. 




I started skimming through the Freezing & Canning Cookbook and then skimming turned into reading every last word. I did peek through the other two and I'm very pleased with my purchase. There is such an amazing wealth of information in each book, I know that I will truly treasure these books. By the way, please check out Ilene's blog, Rock Whisperer. She's extremely knowledgeable and has a lot of creative ideas. 

Best wishes to everyone!
Angie

5 comments:

  1. Love your organization system, I do something similar but your printed pages make it look so much more well-organized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, I'm so glad you are enjoying those cookbooks! I've had mine for years and have used them so much.

    I was going to e-mail you but couldn't find an e-mail address for you and I don't have mine listed on my blog either. So I'm going to send you an e-mail after this one with my e-mail address in it and you delete it when you get it, OK? I wanted to answer your question, from your comment on my blog, about the cherries. Many years ago, Hubs and I lived in northern Indiana, and there were several U-Pick farms around where a friend and I bought a lot of things and put them up for the winter. Every year we'd order pie cherries from them. They came from Washington and seems like it was in spring. They'd arrive in a five-gallon can, sugared and frozen. We'd portion them out into freezer containers and use them for our pies and other desserts.

    The Nanking cherry, though, is similar to a wild cherry in that it's mostly pit. Last year I pitted the fruit and froze it. Then I used it in making fruit cocktail. I had an abundance of canned pears that just weren't being eaten, so once I got peaches off my tree and grapes off the grapevines, I had everything I needed except pineapple, which I bought, and we enjoyed fruit cocktail for quite awhile before we got tired of it, put quite a dent in that supply of canned pears, too! But anyway, once you take the pit out of a Nanking cherry it sorta flattens out and doesn't hold it's shape like a "real" cherry does. So don't waste your pie cherries on just making juice for jam unless that's what you really want. They'll be better in pie, black forest cake, and so on.

    If you're like me, you'll find that garden journal later on while you're looking for something else. Hugs, Ilene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cherries are ready here in late June. They have both sweet and sour cherries. I usually only get the sour cherries for pie but I may get some of the sweet this year as well.

      I really like the idea of making fruit cocktail, my kids absolutely love it but we have a hard time finding any that isn't full of high fructose corn syrup.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete