Sunday, March 2, 2014

Revised Garden Plans

I've been doing a lot of reading (or research, if you prefer) on bigger garden spreads. And well... let's just say I've realized the error of my ways. A square foot gardening plan would be well suited to the small 3.5 x 3.5 foot raised bed I already have because it's easy to get to from all sides. Laying out the 7 foot bed in a square foot plan, however, would be madness.

Once I thought about how hard it would be to a) water the middle of the bed, b) harvest plants in the middle of the bed and c) avoid stomping on plants trying to access plants in the middle, it dawned on me how silly that would be. Luckily I realized it before I planted anything and ended up stuck dealing with it for the remainder of the season.

I increased the bed size and opted to grow a full row each of tomatoes and peppers. The green beans, celery and carrots will have separate shorter rows. And the melons will have their own hills at the outer edge of the bed. I also read that onions are a natural pest repellent so I figured I'd use them as my border -- hopefully kill two birds with one stone.

I'm not much for illustration, obviously...


I'll also be using an idea Ilene suggested on her post, Burying Flower Pots In The Garden. The herbs and flowers will be planted in the big, square pots I have from my container gardening days. Altogether, the bed I have planned will be 12 ft x 6 ft.

And the plans for my shade garden:


The peas will be replaced with strawberries later in the season. I'm growing Coastal Star romaine lettuce. It's supposed to be heat tolerant, which I've never tried, so I'm hoping I'll be able to sneak in a few succession plantings before the heat gets too bad.

I'm so looking forward to warmer weather and all that it brings.


2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the warmer weather - so looking forward to it! I can't wait to get back to gardening. Your plans look good! We installed a lot of beds in our garden last year and they worked out really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I took a peek at some of your older posts, love how your beds turned out. Looks like you guys were able to really optimize your space!

      Delete