Sunday, March 16, 2014

Seedling Update

We have been rather busy outdoors the last two days, trying to get in as much work and play as possible before the snow hits tonight. I really thought we had put winter behind us but Mother Nature has proved me wrong, again. No big surprise there!

Now that we're snuggled up back inside, I figured I'd take a minute to give an update on my seedlings.




The peppers seem to be doing well, they're starting to get their first set of true leaves. I'll let those develop for another day or so and then I'll transfer them into some peat pots. They've about outgrown the cells already and I don't want them to get root-bound.




The tomatoes are also coming along nicely, some of them are developing true leaves, others have just started sprouting. I'll be transferring the ones that are further along to peat pots when I take care of the peppers.

I forgot to get a picture of the celery. They're doing ... eh... OK, I guess. They took forever to germinate. This is the first year I've tried growing celery and I'm not sure what to expect, really. If these don't turn out well, I can direct seed them in a few weeks but they may not have time to fully develop before it gets too hot. I did get a heat-resistant variety so I guess we'll see.



The onion seedlings were doing great. I did the first initial trim and they seemed to really like their haircut. But since then, they've kind of been languishing. I've lost a few that were fine one day, then totally keeled over the next. To make matters worse, they now have some type of bug floating around them. Looks like a fruit fly. I'll be doing some research to see what these bugs could be, that may be why they aren't doing so well now. I may have to start over, which will set me behind on my onions. I've separated them from the rest of the seedlings because I'm worried they may transfer to the other plants. 

I'm glad I held off on starting the cucurbits, especially with the coming snow. I'm not sure how this spring is going to pan out. It sure feels like winter is holding on tight, not willing to let go. No point in worrying about it. Whatever will be, will be. I'll just have to make the best of it!




6 comments:

  1. Yep, I've had those fruit fly things. They'll spread to other plants. I've had good luck with a light spray of organic bug spray, what I get is Natria, made by Bayer, Lowe's has it.

    I've never grown celery. Your seedlings look good. Remember not to set those pepper plants out too early -- seems like I already told you that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have started the peppers a little too early. I based the start date off our last expect frost date, which is April 10. With the long germination time, I figured I'd be safe to start them in February. This year, winter seems to be hanging on longer than usual in these parts. Hopefully I can just transfer them to bigger pots as they need it and still be able to transplant them outside when the soil warms up.

      Delete
  2. Your peppers and tomatoes look awesome! Very healthy. We have some peppers and tomatoes going right now but none of them have their true leaves yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! What kind of tomatoes are you growing? Random question but I'm curious.

      Delete
  3. Keep us up with how your celery goes, I have never tried the heat-resistant variety but would love to if it can grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely keep updating on the celery. I'm interested to see how it turns out. It's my experiment for this season.

      Delete