Wednesday, April 9, 2014

X's and Y's...

My life has been filled with a blur of these lately:





Let me be perfectly honest. I am horrible at math. Oh, don't misunderstand me -- I can convert cups to ounces, figure a total, draw up a budget that actually works, tip a waiter, figure out the perimeter of my garden bed, double or reduce a recipe and so on without breaking a sweat. But when you start throwing letters in with the numbers or God forbid, a shape of some sort... (sigh) I hate it. My brain has always struggled with it. 




I've struggled with it but then the "ah-ha!" moment comes, the light bulb goes on and all is good with the world. Unless we're talking quadratic expressions. Ugh! Better to not even get started on them. The test is in 9 days and I'm looking forward to putting it behind me. 




Things have been partially neglected while I've been studying. The garden fencing has been purchased but nothing has been done with it yet. Hopefully I will get to it in the near future. 



Peas are slowly but surely making their appearance in the world. Unfortunately,  so are the weeds but they aren't going so slowly. I did get that taken care of today. I did want to note that I did not sow the seeds that closely together. I don't know if the spacing got messed up being buried under snow but that's the only thing I can figure. Some have a big gap between them and others are right on top of each other. Hmph.




Thank goodness these Egyptian Walking Onions do really seem self-sufficient for now! 




I have been making time to get the tomato plants out for some real sun. Luckily I've only got the two trays to schlep back and forth. 




My husband got this bundle of 8 foot stakes from work for $3. They came in slightly warped so they sold him the whole bundle at a huge discount. I'm sure I'll find a lot of uses for them. Money well spent. Oh, the perks of a lumber-yard man!




Banana Girl has had school function after school function. With so many snow day cancellations, everything is so jammed together now, it's been crazy. She had her 2nd grade performance last night. She was cast as the museum tour guide and my gosh, was she cute! But I'm biased. Her report card came home yesterday as well and she got straight S+'s. The teacher included a note to say that she is reading above grade level and has exemplary work-study habits. I took her out last night for an ice cream cone to celebrate her awesome performance and good grades. 





Spring. Isn't it lovely? Nine more days and I'll be able to slow down and enjoy it more.

To those that have commented or e-mailed over the last two weeks, I thank you for your patience! You guys are wonderful!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on your test! I used to be pretty good in algebra but that was many years ago. I've never really had a need to use it during my life and so I've forgotten everything I learned about it. I would say if you can calculate unit prices, figure dimensions and all the other day-to-day math functions you mentioned, you have all the skills you need. But, you must pass the test to get the grade, and you must get the grade to get the degree.

    Your onions will fill themselves in before you know it. There probably won't be enough to harvest till next year though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your onions and tomatoes look wonderful, they are really coming along. And could your daughter be any cuter? What a sweetie! I find I use algebra all the time, so it comes in handy to know...good luck on your test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maths was OK for me but this algebra really got onto my nerves. Never understood them and kept away from them.
    Learned a new one today - "Egyptian Walking Onions" :-)

    ReplyDelete